Saturday, December 03, 2005

The trouble with gun rental

It is the weekend again and I would like to go shoot. I figure I'll return to the .22 at the advice of so many, and work on my accuracy a bit while I jump and cringe as usual. That is, I will do all of this if I can find someone to go with me.

I don't pretend to be a stable individual. I also don't pretend to want to use a gun to kill myself. Regardless of these two statements, I cannot go to the range alone because I don't own a gun. This makes no sense to me, but I don't think I can find meaningful statistics anywhere to help my cause. Ranges don't let people who rent guns shoot alone in case they want to go in and shoot themselves. Tell me, all knowing readership, does this happen often? Are there landmark lawsuits?

None of that matters of course, because the rules are the rules and I'm probably not ready to go on my own anyway. Someday though, and probably sooner than I know, I will be ready and I won't be able to convince someone to go with me. Then that will push me toward ownership, a place I'm not interested in exploring just yet. I shoot to help myself feel strength and independence. It's really hard to focus on those things when I cannot go alone.

7 Comments:

Blogger fatman said...

It's a sign of the times, I'm afraid. I've never actually heard of it happening, but lawyers and insurance companies rule the land and their will be done. Just like private gun clubs have to prohibit members and guests from carrying holstered guns on the clubs' premises. Though exactly what a companion is supposed to do if you do decide to kill yourself is beyond me.

3/12/05 8:12 PM  
Blogger Josh said...

Its also part of the reason guns are zip-tied shut at shops and shows nowadays. Someone can chamber a round and kill themself or another person in a split second. It is a liability.

4/12/05 12:21 AM  
Blogger Xavier said...

I have read of two separate gun range suicides from rentals.

I can't believe you cannot find someone to go with you!

4/12/05 7:58 PM  
Anonymous chaos said...

I can't say much about the alone/suicide thing as the previous 3 posters hit it right on the head. It's society.

I'd like to address the flinching part. I used to flinch really bad and this is how I got over it. I stopped focusing on hitting the target for about 100 rounds. I focused on calming myself. Controled my breathing and squeezed the trigger very casually to the point where it seemed that it was taking minutes for the round to go off. You want to squeeze it so that you DONT know when the round is going to fire off. Let it be a surprise. With that the flinch comes after the shot not before it, bettering your accuracy, and as focusing on being calm eventual the flinch goes away. This may not stand true for all people but it's worth a shot.

And if at anytime you're in Tucson - I'll shoot with you.

5/12/05 10:20 PM  
Blogger Zendo Deb said...

I don't know if it happens a lot, but it has happened.

Consider buying. A decent pawn-shop gun can be had for under 200 bucks. What do they charge to rent?

8/12/05 9:12 AM  
Blogger redmemory1 said...

The range I go to charges $15 for the rental plus the rounds.

8/12/05 11:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There was a suicide incident at the indoor range where I shoot sometimes. This was several years back, but a man went in, rented a gun and shot himself. There were others on the range, but they couldn't stop him. Sad.

The tie downs on guns at gun shows are primarily due to liability insurance rates. That said, I'm given to understand that there have been several incidents where hand guns have been found loaded. It's suspected that the anti-gun crowd is responsible in one case in Florida.

11/12/05 2:44 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home