Sunday, December 11, 2005

Gun Rental 2


When I was at the range today to shoot with my trusty friend in tow to coach and accompany me, I found out that they will allow me to rent a gun and shoot alone. They allow this because the range is well manned and as long as I am not a foreign national, which I am not, it is fine for me to come in and shoot alone. In fact, Tuesdays are ladies nights where there is no range fee for women.

Lifted by this information, I rented the Glock 9mm and I shot pretty well. The fear rose up in me as usual, especially when the person in the next stall began shooting something very loud at their Osama target, but the feeling of vomit and the shakiness only lasted about fifteen minutes. Soon I began to focus on my progress and the task at hand. The gun did jam more than a few times but I handled that. The routine, taught to me from the start, was there for me to rely upon. I really tried to do everything alone without coaching this time so that I would feel comfortable on my own in the future.

My friend did step in each time we reviewed the target. He talked to me about my stance, my aim, my overcompensation for the kick. Each time that target floated back and I began to shoot, I did a little better. I appreciate having someone there to guide me through. I also appreciate knowing that should I become too fearful, there is someone there to let me know it's all ok. It is time, however, for me to do this on my own. So my next post about the range should be a shooting story of complete independence. Wish me luck.

6 Comments:

Blogger Jerry The Geek said...

Shooting isn't always a time of being alone. You can appreciate the activity when you have decided to work on the techniques of shooting better, but that probably applies only when you have set yourself a goal and are working hard to accomplish it.

Most often, shooting is a companionable activity. You go someplace and exercise your sport to enhance the moment of being with your friend, or friends.

It may be time for you to start thinking about why you are following this path.

I think . . . and I may be wrong . . . that there are so many reasons why you decided to take up range shooting that it's difficult to focus on one single reason.

You want to overcome your fears, you want to stretch your boundaries, you have found an experience you can share with someone. Often, people start shooting because someone offered to help them with it. Then it's partly a shared activity, partly an effort to please the person who wants to share it with you, and partly it's just something to DO.

You may find that some or all of these reasons apply to you. When shooting becomes something that you feel obligated to justify, it may be the moment when you decide whether it is a positive or a negative experience for you.

Your friend seems to be making an effort to enhance your life by guiding you through a new experience in which he can ... what? What do YOU think his reasons are for working with you with such dedication.

My guess is that he wishes to help you deal with issues that you are unlikely to handle without assistance. He is there, he has the experience and the knowledge and the God-given patience to work with you until you have developed confidence in yourself. I may be wrong, but my impression is that this is the viewpoint you hold.

Here's a big "THANK YOU" for your friend, who cares enough.

The rest of the problem is left as an exercise for the student.

11/12/05 8:19 PM  
Blogger Xavier said...

Hang in there. You ae doing good. Concentrate on the fundementals. People who are skilled marksmen just practice the fundementals better than anyone else.

11/12/05 8:46 PM  
Blogger Steaming Dragon said...

Per your request, I wish you luck.
Good luck.
Just remember, even though your friend isn't going to be there, other people are.
The folks that run the range will help you with any mechanical problems you might have.

Going on ladies nite, if you aren't careful, you'll end up with a whole new bunch of friends.

12/12/05 2:42 AM  
Blogger Firehand said...

To borrow a line, you should endevour to perservere.

Fancy damn way to say 'keep it up', ain't it?

12/12/05 8:35 PM  
Blogger Maricopa Mark said...

Range time is good time and, for the record, not deducted from your life :-)

13/12/05 4:26 PM  
Blogger Zendo Deb said...

one thing I noticed early on was how often people get together to shoot. Stop off after work. Ciwboy action shoots or boweling pin matches or bullseye pistol matches or .... And while competition is often fierce, people are usually having fun. (especially the cowboy action folks.)

The first time I went to a Cowboy action shoot, just to see what it was, people invited my friend and I to a birthday celebration, offered us a slice of cake, and generally made us feel very welcome. This was at one of the bigger regional finals.

17/12/05 7:55 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home