Monday, December 19, 2005

Generic

I am a medicated bipolar and I take more than a few things to regulate that condition. A few days ago I ran out of one of my prescriptions. I called in the refill and a few hours later, expecting to pay $7, was told that the prescription, in generic form, would be a copay of $50. FIFTY DOLLARS FOR A GENERIC. This wouldn't be such a big deal except that I had change my entire pill regimen three months ago because the insurance company decided to stop covering what I was taking. Of course what I was taking was working.

So here I am at a medication crossroads again. I have taken myself off of the $50 generic and called my shrink. What is the point of generic medication if it works out to be just as costly as the "real thing"? In this case that is true. I can take the brand name medication for the same price. Didn't that President, GWB, push some generic medication program as some loose solution to prescription costs to keep our drug dollars out of Canada and Mexico?

All I know is that I am once again changing medications in order to keep my costs down instead of my spirits up. As an added bonus, the withdrawl from that particular generic drug has given me a rash. I can't wait for the next one. Hopefully it will have a generic equivalent.

3 Comments:

Blogger Steaming Dragon said...

Calomine work?
And when you getstartedwith the newmed, pay close attention to your nightmares. More? or less severe?
This could be important.

20/12/05 4:39 PM  
Blogger Steaming Dragon said...

Damn, I hate this sticky space bar...

20/12/05 4:40 PM  
Blogger redmemory1 said...

benadryl spray works ok.

Rash or not, all of this stuff is supposed to improve my nightmares, although I haven't seen any evidence of that.

20/12/05 5:02 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home